Monday, May 3, 2010

Cop Out

That's what this post is going to be. I am bushed today--"excuses, excuses" I know--because in my particular line of work, summer is the busiest time of the year, and I'm running around constantly doing things I don't like, which is draining. Well, it's not completely true to say I don't like what I do. It's complicated. Nevermind, it's not important.

What is important is the Blessed Virgin Mary. Some time ago my friend Sally wrote what she calls a little primer on Marian doctrine and devotion. Sally says she's linked to this so many times that it's a little embarrassing, but I haven't linked to it at all, not even one time, except that one time one sentence ago. This is for all my Protestant friends and family that read this blog who may have been confused by my own attempts to explain Marian devotion. Or perhaps it might just be good not to hear my particular brand of ranting. Not that Sally's ranting. It's just good to hear other people, and Sally tackles it in a way that I do not (and cannot, in some ways). Maybe it can stir some more dialogue amongst us; we can have a common reference. Anyway, friends, if you've got questions, you've got my e-mail; and if you've got objections, I've had them, too; and if you've got something snarky to say, I've got a knuckle-sandwich with your name on it.

You know, actually that does remind me of an historical anecdote. Once, when St. Ignatius was travelling, he met a Muslim who did not believe in the perpetual virginity of Mary, and they debated. Eventually, the Muslim rode off. You've got to know that at this point in the Saint's life, he was only sort of "half there" as far as his conversion was concerned. Saint Ignatius had been a war hero, and chivalry (long dead, really, though the spirit remained) was hot in him. He couldn't have a Muslim dishonoring Mary like that! I'll let his biographer speak a bit: "He [St. Ignatius] was sorely troubled as he thought over the conduct of his fellow-traveller, and felt that he had but poorly acquitted himself of his duty of honoring the Mother of God. The longer his mind thought upon the matter, the more his soul was filled with indignation against himself for having allowed the Saracen to speak as he had done of the Blessed Virgin, and for the lack of courage he fancied he had shown in not at once resenting the insult. He consequently felt impelled by a strong impulse to hasten after him and slay the miscreant [what a great phrase] for the insulting language he had used." A different time. Well, St. Ignatius didn't kill the Saracen, in case you're wondering. His life is well worth reading, if ever you have the inclination. But just you think about that when you're reading Sally's stuff. Think long and hard.

5 comments:

Lauren Brasher said...

Bruder, a good post. Not a cop out. I'm sorry you're pooped. I wish I were pooped. But it's easy to say that when you have no task to take you out of bed in the morning.

Last summer I read a book called Mary: a Catholic Evangelical Debate. And I found myself not nearly so offended, flustered, or flabbergasted at Marian devotion once I had the facts. Actually, I got kind of angry at the Protestent dismissal of the Mother of God. Like why didn't anybody tell me that the Immaculate Conception was in reference to Mary's conception as a sinless person? I never knew that.

Consequently, my birthday falls on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception! Woo woo!

Monica the Man said...

I know that's when your b-day falls, which is awesome. Did you read Sally's stuff?

Lauren Brasher said...

Yesh. Nice and concise.

Sally Thomas said...

That is a totally cool birthday to have.

(and thanks for the link!)

Monica the Man said...

Hey...what are friends for?