Thursday, May 6, 2010

He's at it AGAIN



I like this guy Vianini. He sort of looks like my (mostly) Italian grandfather, who died when I was six. I don't think my grandfather was a tenor, though, and I know he wasn't Catholic. Italian and Protestant? What? Well, nobody's perfect.

But here's Vianini doing his pulsing again. I'm trying to figure out if it's systematic in some way, but I need real expertise. VA made some comments in my previous post which make sense, and I wanted to point out some other examples of what I'm talking about. Bear with me.

He pulses two "beats" (again, I don't know the terminology) on dulcedo, starting at 0:16--dulce-e-do

He does it again at ergo, starting around 0:54--ergo-o

Iesum at 1:14--Iesu-um

Part of the "o" at o dulcis

And again at Maria at the end--Mar-i-i-a... Of course, he's doing it throughout, here and there, but these are the ones that stick out to me the most.

And yet there are extended notes also. Maybe he's pulsing every individual punctum (there's the word I was looking for), and the ones with little dots or lines above them he's extending as a continuous note. I know not. I need VA or the choirmaster to tell me what's what, not to mention I'd probably need to be looking at the music...not to mention I'd have to be able to read the music...aaaand we're back to needing VA and the choirmaster.

One more thing. I mentioned in the previous post that when he moves up or down from a note, he doesn't slide, but he doesn't exactly jump, either. The word I use is pulse; I'm sure it has some technical name. Maybe it's "sing" or something complicated like that. Anyway, I love the way he does it at clemens (1:34): cleme-ens. Maybe there's nothing systematic about it at all; maybe he's just feelin the vibe, man.

No comments: