Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Fetchez la vache!"


I was just thinking how I talked about "vache" ("cow") in one of my posts about Chaucer's poem, "Truth." And lo! Here it is, in one of the brutal French taunting scenes of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. There's a bit of blasphemy at the end; sorry about that. I think what I love most about this little scene is Galahad's and Arthur's polite "English" reactions to the taunting, along with their resolution to attack. Of course, like so much in this film, the former is an anachronism. It might interest you to know that the English did not develop the reputation for their manners (cool or warm) until after the 16th century.
"What a strange person." "Now look here my good man!" "Is there someone else up there we could talk to?" Great.

No comments: