Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Shave that 'stache!

This is a response to my sister's post about women shaving themselves in various places. Read that. Warning: ol' sis holds nothing back. Which is why we love her. Below is my response.

Many social conventions are of course non-moral. Some, though non-moral in themselves, are reflections of a broader adherence to a Belief, which may be moral or non-moral. The individual's adherence to conventions may be conscious or unconscious of the beliefs which are their founts. Rejection of a convention is usually conscious. Either way--adherence or rejection--it is a reflection upon that individual for other individuals to read, which they may only do in the context of their own time and place. One is not allowed, however good the reasons, to consider oneself the norm. Thus, to reject a convention is to allow heightened scrutiny and judgment.

Another way to approach this particular issue would be to ask: "Is a woman shaving her pits and legs morally repugnant in itself?" The answer of course is no. The reasons behind it MAY be: vanity, for example, on a vast scale; or financial exploitation, as you suggest; unreasonable expectation, etc. etc. But whatever its origins (and those are important), I think our dad is at least not wrong, if not wholly right in the most literal sense. Bodily hairiness IS generally a masculine trait. For example, if you went bald or grew a mustache or wiry chest hair, you would probably take action--"alter" yourself, as you put it. (As an aside, I would point out that men "alter" themselves as well, historically just as much as women, so you can't make that a sexist thing. 14th century dudes used to wear makeup, for example, and curl their hair. I see almost as many magazines in the rack pumping how a man should look as I do for women. I think they're both mostly ridiculous, of course. But I've got a goatee right now. I am on a diet. I'm trying to develop muscle tone. I don't wear t-shirt-and-jeans every day, like I want to. Etc. You could argue that putting on clothes is "altering" oneself.) Now, both of those traits (baldness and superfluity of body hair), though certainly far from universal, are natural in a man in a way that they aren't for a woman, though it does happen to some women. When it does, we recognize it as unnatural, or at least abnormal, like a hairlip. It's nobody's fault that they have a hairlip, and there's nothing morally wrong with it, but they have reconstructive surgery (more "alteration!") all the same. Obviously this is an extreme example. In many cases, a health issue is involved with a hairlip, I realize. But if a woman grows a mustache, we think DANG, she needs to do something about that mess. Why? Well, because it's not something that is typically female. On another level, there's an entire organization (Locks of Love) that exists to provide real-hair wigs to kids who lose it due to cancer treatment. Another extreme example (and I don't mean to offend with it), but it is a cosmetic charity which exists because we all recognize that this thing is not the norm...and there's that word again.

"But it remains a fact," you might retort, "that all women naturally grow hair on their legs and pits." Very true. I'm not saying that you (or any woman) SHOULD shave those things. I don't like shaving either, though facial hair on a man is more typical (though not all men have got the goods, if you know what I mean).

At this point I'm going to call on ol' Gilbert Keith Chesterton. I can't remember where, but there is a point in Orthodoxy when he says that we do not ornament something that we think is ugly to make it beautiful. We ornament something that we think is already beautiful. Perhaps women shaving stuff is vanity, perhaps it is male domination, or something cliche like that. (Though if I am to listen to Van Morrison, women dress up for each other.) Probably often it is this kind of thing, and I doubt many saints cared much for it. But it could just as easily be a kind of innocent extravagance, a heightening of that which is recognizably and beautifully female as distinct from male--i.e., generally less hair on the body and more on the head. It's trouble, yes, and much more trouble than I know about, which is why I wouldn't ever think worse of a woman for avoiding it. But I also cannot deny that it IS more attractive to me than a hairy leg or armpit, even if a hairy leg is not repulsive to me (it isn't). Culturally conditioned in me it may be, but I can't make myself born in another time and place, and it doesn't seem to me to be a practice grievous enough to change on a massive scale. You say women were shamed into behaving as they do, and that may very well be. My history-of-pit-shaving lore is pretty scanty. But it could just as easily be that women had minds of their own back in the day and said, "Hey! I like that!" when the option was presented to them. And they really might have.

6 comments:

Lauren Brasher said...

Yay, I'm so excited I get a blog entry addressed to me!

Valid points, all. Like I said, shaving is not a moral issue. I wasn't saying that dad was wrong. Mostly, it just hurt my feelings to hear my dad say I was 'gross' and my mom say in a more biting tone that I was 'disgusting' concerning my disregard for the practice. I am hygienically sound, let me assure you. And on an even more personal note (because yes, I will go there), I have been scrutinized and reprimanded concerning these matters as well as my body in general on a sexual level (ahem, ex-fiance). Somehow, a quarter of an inch of hair called my femininity, my very sexuality, into question. I'm not trying to buck the system; I've just been hurt by it. Most of the time, I don't really know what it means to be feminine anymore. So, yeah, it's personal.

And I wasn't saying that women shouldn't shave. If it makes them happy, may they all be bald and beautiful. That's all well and good. But I don't like it, and I wish I didn't have to be scrutinized for something that is natural (as our society is so hip on 'natural' things these days)to my body, something so benign as all this. At least, I want people to examine why they think it's gross or not. Which you have, and I commend you for that. And if, one day, I meet a nice guy who is none too excited about my body hair, yeah, I'd shave for him. Not because I want him to like me, but because I care about him.

As for the 'alteration' discussion, yeah, dudes have to conform too. Everyone has the social mask to wear. But I will say this: concerning sexual attractiveness, women generally have to put in more effort. Men are visual creatures, aroused/interested initially by sight. Mix that with the stylized ideal of 'BEAUTIFUL WOMAN' and well, you've got gals with wax on their legs, curlers in their hair, and coal dust on their eye lashes (more affectionately known as mascara-literally, a mask). Your question might be, but don't ladies also dress up for one another? Maybe, but would they if they weren't vying for a man's attention first? I know that if I'm going to a place where there are no dudes, I sure as hell am not going to dress up for some dames. But then again, I am the girl with furry legs. And I don't generally dress up for dudes either.

Anyway, all I know is that your masculinity, Aaron Brasher, has never been called into question, whether you were beardless or bushy, flabby or tight, dressed up or dressed down.

Monica the Man said...

Well, right. In the first part of what I said--talking generally about social norms--I meant to point out that bucking the system is usually conscious and therefore must be open to scrutiny consciously. People might not listen to you, but you can't necessarily blame them, because you're not listening to everybody. Not necessarily a bad thing. For example, I believe that the world would be a better place if the Confederacy had maintained its independence, or at least that its cause was just. This is not a status quo belief, and I am ready to defend it or even, yes, to hide it when necessary. However, I don't necessarily blame people for disagreeing with me or even thinking I'm a bit monstrous, if this is all they know about me, or the first thing they know. I understand where they're coming from, but it takes a special effort from them to know where I'm coming from...a special effort which I, frankly, have not earned.

What I really object to is the idea that women were "coerced" into doing anything. Coerced is a strong word. I can think about this situation in at least two alternate ways: (1) They (women...and men, too, really) were offered the bait, and they bit. Or (2) they were offered a choice, and they took it, because they wanted to. Obviously the next generations had to deal with that choice, because that's how history works. Social pressure is real, but it's hardly coercion, as you yourself are proving. There were no laws passed, no police force tasked with maintaining a grade of smoothness. I don't like the modern spin of women being sad little tools before this date or that date. It just isn't true.

My own masculinity is something I don't think about much, in the sense of nervously maitaining it; I'm not exactly what you'd call uptight about it. It's something I notice and to some degree nurture. "Nature and artifice," just like Mr. Gardiner says!

And that's what I have to say about THAT!

Lauren Brasher said...

Ok, maybe coercion was a strong word. And you're right: they were given a choice and they did 'bite', but would they have bitten so fiercely if they had not been shamed into it? Someone had a product and said 'If you do not use this product, you are unclean. You are not full woman.' Ouch. It just isn't true. I'm sure that there are thousands of similar incidences like this concerning both men and woman. This is just something that gets my goat.

And that's what I have to say about THAT!

Monica the Man said...

Truth is, I don't know. You know me; I'd have to read about it for about two months, which is definitely something that's not going to happen in this case. However, if I accept your overview of the history (which I kind of have to), I find it very hard to believe that women suddenly felt overwhelming shame for not doing something no one had ever done before on a large scale. That may be the case for SOME women NOW, because it's been established. It makes much more sense to me that they were attracted by the idea when it was presented as something you could do if you wanted. Did they push it hard? Probably. It's marketing. Probably a lot of it was crap. But it was new or easily available in a way it wasn't before. Heck, it might just have been exciting, like learning to drive when cars came out (I hate driving), or seeing a movie when those were available (routine now). Woohoo! Time for smooth time! Can't get enough! I mean, wasn't there a lot of girl power going on at the time? Votes for Women, and so on? 1920. Women's Temperance Union--Prohibition, also in 1920 (the worst idea EVER). I just have a hard time envisioning all the poor women of the west somehow suddenly forced into shaving all the time breaking into tears in mourning for their lost pit hair, dreaming of the day when one day their daughers would be free of the razor once more. Might have happened. But I suspect you're projecting sixtiesthink (our wonderful heritage) back onto the early 20th century. Could be wrong. It's happened. I just don't know enough about this particular branch of history.

Lauren Brasher said...

You don't have to make fun of it. I'm sure no one mourned the loss of their arm pit hair. I'm not saying that a woman looked at this advertisement and immediately shaved her pits to be done with the vile hair. It was a subtle insinuation that to be an attractive woman, you had better do this thing. As I said originally, it was directed at upper class women- the ones who could afford the new fashions, the razors, the magazines that told them what to do. It began as a fashion trend; shaving was en vogue. But it didn't go away; it became a social norm. A social norm that was founded on things that weren't inherently true. Do I feel sorry for the women of the early twentieth century? Not necessarily, no. I don't think shaving is a bad thing. That's not what I'm arguing. If I feel sorry for anybody, I feel sorry for myself, for the women of today who feel like they have to shave to be acceptable.

But you're right about the Prohibition. What were those crazy broads thinking?!

al said...

This is Allie. I just read both your and Lauren's blogs.
I said this to Lauren, now I'll say it to you:
I have come to the conclusion that you two should be a renegade philosophy team. Taking down bodies of thought everywhere.