Thursday, April 29, 2010

Oo-de-lally!


Robin Hood. If not the greatest Disney movie ever (and it might be), it definitely has the best soundtrack (except for that horrible romantic song sung through Robin and Marian's date). In today's Disney you couldn't imagine a line like, "While bonnie good King Richard leads the great Crusade he's on, we'll all have to slave away for that good for nothin' John...a pox on the phony king of England!" Or one of the best concatinations of words (in a different song): "Reminiscin' this'n that'n havin' such a good time, oodelally, oodelally, golly what a day..." Or when the evil sherriff comes in and takes money from the poor box? Woo, baby! It still gives me goose-bumps when Friar Tuck goes ballistic and shouts, "Get outta my Church!" The zeal of thy house hath eaten me up. The greatest thing about the particular scene above is that it interrupts a horribly cheesy moment between two foxes gazing into each other's eyes...predictably, it's the friar with the save. Near occasion of sin? Dealt with. Right on, friar.

4 comments:

Lauren Brasher said...

I LOVE this movie... Although, I think my favorite song is 'Not in Nottingham.' I'm such a sucker for a sad song.

Sally Thomas said...

Oo-de-lally . . . By the way, a seven-year-old of your acquaintance is making his First Communion tomorrow. So send some kind of spiritual oo-de-lally his way.

VA said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you (besides the obvious ones like you put up with my husband in choir, your witty conversation and excellent cooking). Robin Hood has always been my favorite Disney movie. If all friars still had Friar Tuck's zeal those little country churches would look very different than they do today.

Monica the Man said...

My, my...I mantle, I blush. The choirmaster puts up with a great deal more than we do, as I'm sure you know. Like bass singers who can't hit basic notes. But anyway, yes, I used to watch this movie all the time. When my grandmother would pick me up from school, we'd often go rent a movie. Every time, I'd go straight to Robin Hood, and we'd either get that, or she'd have to convince me to get something else--sometimes she succeeded, sometimes not. We were talking about it recently and she said, "I don't know why we didn't just buy it..."